The OCEANetwork Board of Directors recently sent out an important end-of-year letter. If you did not receive it, you can read the message below. If your mailing address has changed, or you would like to be added to our mailing list, sign up here.
Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20-21)
What a mighty God we serve! The all-volunteer, non-profit ministry of OCEANetwork continues to serve families in Oregon. As we rejoice in His faithfulness throughout 2023, and look forward to the coming year, we offer the following update on the ministry of the Oregon Christian Home Education Association Network.
- Apple Pie Day for 2023 was a great success. This event, which OCEANetwork puts on at the Oregon State Capitol Building each long legislative session year, was well-attended in spite of the rain. Not only were families encouraged and inspired, but information packets were delivered to each legislative office emphasizing the success of homeschooling and the high value home educators place on the freedom to direct the education of their children.
- In June, the Oregon Christian Home Education Association Network (OCEANetwork) hosted its 27th annual conference! Year after year, we have been blessed to see homeschool families encouraged and equipped at this event, and this time was no exception. The personal connections and real-life encouragement attendees received from each other were beautiful to see. There’s nothing quite like the experience of coming together as a statewide homeschool community at the Oregon Christian Home Education Conference each year. It is priceless!
- OCEANetwork continued to work to protect and expand your homeschool freedoms in 2023. Our Freedom Watch Team diligently monitored Oregon legislative activity and kept you informed about potential threats to homeschool freedoms and parental rights. In response to our calls-to-action, homeschool families faithfully called, emailed, visited, and prayed for their legislators, creating important connections.
- OCEANetwork board members participated in mini homeschool conferences in Pendleton, Medford, and Dallas, as well as education option events in Salem and Central Point. Whether speaking in sessions, hosting an OCEANetwork informational booth, or talking one- on-one with local homeschool families, our goal is to encourage and equip while spreading the vision of homeschool freedom and Christ-centered family discipleship.
- Homeschool families received year-round support and information from OCEANetwork as we interacted with homeschoolers across the state via email, social media, and telephone. What a joy it has been to hear what God is doing in your families and to pray with and for you!
In 2024, Lord willing, OCEANetwork will continue these services and efforts for Oregon homeschoolers. But we can’t do it apart from the grace of God and the generous support of families like yours! Here are two initiatives in particular that we need prayers and support for:
- Homeschool freedom bill: Our Freedom Watch Team is working to submit a “Homeschool Freedom” bill in the 2025 Legislature, although we will do so sooner if possible. The goal of this bill will be to eliminate mandatory testing and notification in Oregon. In 2024, we’ll be focusing on educating the Oregon Legislature and Governor’s office on the benefits of homeschooling and why homeschooling regulations like testing are unfair, ineffective, and should be dropped. We will be sending updates during the year with more information and ways you can help.
- Technology and infrastructure update: Technology is vital to performing the many tasks involved in serving homeschool families in Oregon. We are in the process of implementing a set of tools that will allow us to continue to do this work into the future. With the tremendous growth in the number of homeschool families, we need accessible technology and infrastructure in order to reach, serve, and support this growing community. The goal is to maximize our resources and bring on more volunteers who share the vision of homeschool freedom and family discipleship. We began the ongoing process several years ago when we updated some of our systems and our website. We are ready to continue the project by updating the technology we use to serve you.
To those who have already responded to our letter and made a donation, we want you to know how much we appreciate your gift! We could not do this work with out you. Thank you so much!
Our mission remains to serve the Lord Jesus Christ by equipping families to biblically disciple the next generation through home education, and by protecting and advancing private home education freedoms in Oregon for all. Will you join us by praying, giving financially, and volunteering your time and talents? By God’s grace, and support from families like yours, we will continue to make a difference in the legislature and in the lives of Oregon homeschooling families—today and in the years to come.
for the entire OCEANetwork Board
P.S. The OCEANetwork Supporting Members program has been a wonderful way to share extra benefits with our supporters. (Learn more at oceanetwork.org/membership.) For just $50 (not tax-deductible) we are able to provide you with extra perks to bless your families! But friends, we cannot continue the important work of protecting and expanding homeschool freedoms in Oregon solely on those membership fees. Please consider donating now so that we can continue reaching new families and working to protect your freedoms. You make a difference!