When parents start to homeschool we like to encourage them to cast the vision and to know their WHY for homeschooling. Why do YOU want to start homeschooling? Having a concise statement that describes your “why” is something that can help keep you focused and encouraged.
Why are YOU Homeschooling?
As much joy and blessing as there is in homeschooling, it’s not always easy. You will have challenging days or even seasons sometimes, and in those times, it’s so helpful to know your WHY and even have it written down for quick review and prayer. Having a clear vision and a heart-felt commitment will sustain you more than textbooks, lesson plans, science projects, and field trips.
Spend some time writing down your reasons to homeschool your children. This will be your vision for homeschooling. Maybe it’s crafting an education designed around teaching your children to know and love the Lord. Or having more time at home for relationships and enjoying these brief childhood years with your kids. Or perhaps it’s being able to provide an learning environment that nurtures your struggling learners, or helps your children to learn at their own pace.
You can write it out as a bullet list or as a paragraph. Whatever will help you get it done and motivate you on those challenging days. And of course, gathering Scriptures that really speak to you on this journey will be a huge blessing. Here’s one to get you started.
And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9
As you begin your homeschooling journey, take the long view. There will be temporary trials along the way, but you will be investing in the kingdom of God as you devote this time to the hearts and minds of your children.
To get you started, we’ve created this FREE Homeschool Planning Starter Pack that includes a place for you to write your homeschool vision, priorities, and goals. We’ve also put together the following list of reasons to homeschool to inspire you.
May God bless you on the journey!
Top 6 Reasons to Homeschool Your Child
- Discipleship – Homeschooling is more than just an educational option. Teach your children with a biblical worldview, and live out Deuteronomy 6:7, by teaching them the things of God in all of life and learning.
- Relationships – Have more time to invest in family relationships, enjoying in full the years you have with your children at home, and guiding them in making godly friends.
- Excellence – Provide an education that fits their needs and interests so they can truly thrive in academics, biblical knowledge, and life skills. Launch them into the real world well-prepared!
- Freedom – Freedom to educate your children as you see fit, no longer limited by the schedules of public schools or the confinement of the classroom setting.
- Flexibility – Accommodate special needs, work around major family events, change up your method or course of study as needed, and more. Flexibility is a blessing!
- Responsibility – All children belong to God, and He has given parents — not the state — the responsibility of nurturing and training them. Parents must rise to this calling!